StartIsBack 2.9.20 for Win10 / 1.7.6 for Win8.1 / 2.1.2 for Wi
- Developer Link 1 (StartIsBackPlusPlus_setup.exe)
- Developer Link 2 (non https StartIsBackPlus_setup.exe)
- Developer Link 3 (non https StartIsBack_setup.exe)
- Download3k US (StartIsBackPlusPlus_setup.exe)
- Download3k EU (StartIsBackPlusPlus_setup.exe)
All files are original. Download3K does not repack or modify downloads in any way. Check MD5 for confirmation.
Review & Alternatives
"Windows 8 start menu"
StartIsBack combines the Start Screen of Windows 8.x with the benefits of a traditional Start Menu that previously came with Windows 7 and earlier operating systems and is making a welcome return in the upcoming Windows 10.
This application actually separates the Start Menu from the Start Screen rather than replacing the Start Screen entirely.
The existing Start Screen doesn't need to be removed. It can be converted to an App screen which can remove a lot of the clutter than automatically gets added to the Start Screen and turn it back into a useful program launcher again.
The Start Menu button can be skinned to customize its appearance. The level of translucency can also be tweaked.
Hot keys can be configured to quickly bring up the Start Screen, Start Menu or the advanced features options.
The installation proceeded without any issues.
There were no adware, toolbars or malicious software included with the distribution.
StartIsBack requires Windows 8/8.1.
The StartIsBack Start Menu itself will not look much different to what users expected when they first bought Windows 8.x and suddenly wondered to their dismay where the Start Menu had disappeared to.
There is a configuration window which has tabs for Start Menu, Appearance, Switching, Advanced and About. Many features can be configured right down to whether the Control Panel within the Start Menu should display as a link, an expandable menu to Control Panel applets or not shown at all.
The Appearance of the Start Menu can be tweaked with subtle skin choices, a change of the Start Menu button, and translucency adjustments too.
It is all very well thought out.
- Add a Start Menu to Windows 8.x
- Change the Start Menu button
- Adjust translucency effects
- Remove user image from Start Menu
- Adjust settings to customize what is included in the Start Menu like if the Control Panel will show, be expandable or not be included at all
- Disable hotspot corners
- Hot keys to quickly access Start menu, Start / Apps screen and advanced features
- Show the taskbar on the Start Screen
- 30 day trial version
Start8 is an alternative Start Menu for Windows 8.x which was recently reviewed at Download3k.com. It lacks the Start Screen optimization but has a pleasing level of customization. Classic Shell is even better, if not the best alternative.
StartIsBack is a good alternative to being stuck with the Start Screen in Windows 8.1 and not being able to get back to using the Start Menu. The level of customization is pleasing and the developers have been at pains to blend some of the plus points of the Start Screen by offering an Apps Screen version which cuts down on the clutter.
Popular downloads in Desktop Enhancements
- Vista Transformation Pack 9.0.1
Transform Windows XP to Vista alike for free!
- Universal Vista Inspirat Brico Pack Ultimate 2 1.0
An update for Vista Inspirat Brico Pack.
- Vista Visual Styles Pack 6.0
Change your old Windows XP theme.
- VistaMizer 126.96.36.199
Give your Windows XP the Vista look!
- Licking Dog Screen Cleaner Screen Saver 2.0
Licking Dog Screen Cleaner Screen Saver
- Acez Jump Start Screensaver 1.2
Activate your screen saver from your desktop!
- UberIcon 1.0.4
Adds effects to your Desktop and Explorer.
- Classic Shell 4.3.1
Enhance the usability of Windows!
- RocketDock 1.3.5
Application launcher simliar to the OSX Dock.
- free Image 2 Icon Converter 3.2
Convert from all images to transparent icons