Updated1 Aug 2020
Downloads2,776 (1 last week)
"A small, efficient installation system"
Are you a software developer? Would you like an easy, robust and free solution to package your applications? Nullsoft is the perfect choice for you. It is an open source project, with loads of examples online that cover every possible situation. NSIS needs you to create (or edit an existent) script file which contains a series of commands (which files to pack, where to extract them in the installation process, check dependencies and install third party software, wait until third party programs are installed, create desktop shortcuts, create uninstaller, etc).
Here are the main key points:
- After you create your script file, all you have to do is right click on it and choose from the contextual menu the NSIS option which will start compiling the installer
- If the packaging process fails, you get a detailed error with the line you need to go to and edit
- It supports plugins that extend the functionality of NSIS
- Capable of archiving all the files you want included in your project so that the end result is as small as possible (archiving support for LZMA, ZLib, BZip2)
- You can add your own IF THEN instructions in the script, which are very useful to customize the installation to your clients’ configuration
- The end result is a single executable file
- Full control over the installing interface (fonts, colors, images, etc)
- Support for multiple languages, and it case you want to add one that’s missing you’re welcome to do so
- Check the extracted files using a CRC32 checksum
- The license agreement can be a simple txt file or RTF
- Easy access through plugins to advanced functions like opening a HTTP connection, making Windows API calls, custom dialogs, etc
- The end installer can be as large as several GBs, NSIS will not throw an error
- Support for silent installations, that work in the background, particularly useful if you install multiple programs in one go
- Force the computer to reboot, if your program registers several classes or services required to run the main application
Download Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS in short) if you want to create installer programs quickly and easily, using a free program tested by tens of thousands of developers, who have left through documentation and plugins for you.
Top user review