"A dedicated anti trojan scanner."
TrojanHunter is a malware scanner that is capable of locating malware, spyware, trojans, adware, modem dialers and other malicious software.
The software aims to be able to scan RAM memory, files stored on hard drives, the Windows registry and communication ports for any issues. The scanning engine is fast and is also capable of getting inside different file archives and packages to check the contents for malware, spyware and other nasties.
The software runs directly from the executable file and so doesn't need to be installed. Because of this it can travel on USB flash drives and be used on different computers.
When first loading up, the software immediately goes into update mode to pull in the latest scanning definition files from the internet. The update itself is pretty large and will take 10 minutes or longer to download even on a broadband internet speed.
There was no adware, spyware, malware or toolbars included with the package.
TrojanHunter requires Windows 2000, XP, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 (32-bit or 64-bit).
The main interface is a plain one but it hits all the right marks. The scanner options are clear with main scanning commands for “Scan Now,” “Status,” “History,” “Quarantine,” and “Options.”
During a scan, there is a files and magnifying glass that rotates to indicate a scan is in progress, along with details about the type of item currently being scanned, the object being scanned (including its path), the number of objects already scanned, and a count of how many malware items have been located.
- Fast file scanning engine to detect malware, trojans, spyware and more
- Scans RAM memory via TrojanHunter Guard to detect in-memory active infections
- Scans Windows registry to detect trojan traces in the registry records
- Scans for open ports used by trojans to communicate back to base
- Can remove or quarantine infections
- Netstat viewer included
- Good interface that is easy for beginners to virus or malware scanners to use
- Help files included
- During my test, TrojanHunter found a trojan, removed it, then offered an option to remove it again only to determine that the file was no longer there (it had been placed correctly in the quarantine area the first time)
A trojan removal tool should also be accompanied by an antivirus installed on your system, running 24/7, such as Avast Free AntiVirus, which is a popular scanning and virus removal tool that has a high detection rate and some nice extras like software update module.
TrojanHunter is an accurate malware, trojan, spyware, adware and modem dialer scanning and removal package with a high detection rate.
Requirements: Pentium Class CPU with 64MB RAM and Windows 98
What's new in this version: Ability to pause and resume scans
Top user review