"Microsoft Windows Defender software."
Microsoft Windows Defender is a security technology based application that safeguards Windows OS by detecting and removing any kind of spyware, malware and other potentially harmful software(s) present in a computer. It helps minimize the unfavorable effects such as pop- ads, slow computer performance, unwanted updates to internet settings, and unauthorized use of private information kept on your computers. This security software guards those areas where there are chances of spyware entry in your computer, hence empowers you to surf internet more safely.
The installation process does takes time to complete and before proceeding with it, you need to remove other security technologies from your computer otherwise it can cause problems in the operating system. In the beginning, installer gives the instructions about running the setup where it mentions to install the application on a startup device like CD,DVD or USB flash drive, so that in case the computer gets infected with malware, the device could be used later to start up the computer. In the next steps, you need to choose a startup media out of the given options for installation which are CD/DVD, USB flash drive, and as ISO file on disk. Select the preferred location then after few minutes the installation will be completed. It is supported by Windows XP/Vista/7.
The interface of this version has been redesigned and streamlined that makes it intuitive for all kind of users, irrespective of their technical background. The window has a standard layout similar to other security applications where the main Menu has options like Home, Scan, History, and Tools. At the bottom, status details of the application are displayed like Last scan, Scan Schedule, Real-time protection, and Antispyware definitions.
- You can choose from three different types of Scans which are, Quick Scan (fast scanning of the system for harmful files); Full scan (thorough analysis of the system); Custom Scan (lets you select specific drives and folders for analysis)
- After scanning, the report generated by application displays the detected spyware on your system, which you can either remove or quarantine
- The History options lets you review the actions that were previously taken on potentially harmful softwares
- A feature named Real-Time Protection is a monitoring system that proposes you to take actions whenever a spyware is detected that helps to reduce interruptions, while keeping you productive at the same time
- It provides support for automatic scanning of the computer according to settings made by you. You can set the frequency, time, and type of the scan and even opt to check for updated definitions before scanning
- Tools option lets you configure the application’s settings like removing or restoring quarantined softwares, joining an online community ‘Microsoft SpyNet’, setting and viewing the softwares that you do not want to be monitored, and more powerful options on how to run the program
- This version has a new scanning engine leading to improved performance of the application
- The installation process is a bit tricky as there are multiple installation locations to chose from, with each one having a different procedure
- Its spyware and malware detection rate is limited and is not fully reliable
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SpyBot Search & Destroy are two very good alternatives for Windows Defender. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware performs amazingly in detecting and removing malware infections, plus it has an approachable forum community to fight against malwares existing in the wild. SpyBot Search & Destroy is a free and powerful security program that utilizes open source malware definitions to protect computers.
Windows Defender runs on low resources and so has a good response time. Moreover, it offers various beneficial options like real-time protection, automatic updates, an online community, history of unwanted softwares, and much more. Windows Defender already comes built-in for Windows XP and newer operating systems but for systems with older Windows version, this free security program is recommended for fortifying your computer’s security.
Requirements: The current beta is intended only for English language versions of the Microsoft
Top user review