"Monitor your computer's security status"
â˜… Winner of Best Antivirus in 2017.
McAfee Total Protection is designed as a complete security package and provides the benefits of antispyware apart from being an antivirus. The main feature in the latest edition of Mc Afee’s security product is the improved anti-malware engine which guards a PC from latest viruses, spyware, Trojans, rootkits, and other threats. It gives protection for backup and data protection, internet, home network connection, parental controls and optimization tools.
The software can be directly downloaded from the online account on McAfee’s website, or hit download below under this review. On running McAfee exe, it checks for any threats existing in the PC and then cleanses off the threats for a trouble-free installation. The window then asks to enter a Serial Number (given on McAfee website’s download page or is sent by email) followed by option to select Complete or Custom setting. After that McAfee software installation files are downloaded and then installed. Its supported Operating Systems are: Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) or higher, Windows Vista SP1 (32-bit and 64-bit) or higher, Windows 7(32-bit and 64-bit) with SP1, Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit). If any conflict is faced during installation, remove any previously installed instance of McAfee product.
Interface of the software is pretty close-knit with numerous features, even then Menu is well-groomed and glossy. Menu options are also very instinctive so even for a person with non-technical background, it is painless to navigate through the options. The Home page displays various sections of software features like: Virus and Spyware Protection, Web and Email Protection, Data Protection and Backup, PC and Home Network Tools, and more. On clicking any of these options, you are directed to a screen showing details of the opened feature, from where you can further update the settings according to your wish.
- It runs a pre-install scan to help remove malware that may already be on your computer
- Parental controls let you block inappropriate sites with age based rules and adjustable categories
- One of the key features, Real-Time Scanning, searches all drives on your computer looking for viruses and malware. When scanning is done, McAfee Total Protection puts them to seclusion or removes the threats
- McAfee also provides a feature, Safe URL sharing, wherein it scans the links you want to share with your friends to ensure they are safe and will not infest their system(s)
- Firewalls protects PC from intruders who can hijack the PC, steal personal data, or polices the information sent or received on the PC
- Anti-Spam stops junk mails and phishing attacks from infesting your inbox.
- SiteAdvisor Plus warns you about the security and reliability of the websites you visit, and the File protection tool checks everything you download.
- By scheduling automatic scans, you can regularly check your computer for viruses, spyware
- It is too resource heavy and might result into slowing down your computer
- There is no automatic backup scheduler, so the backup of important files has to be done periodically
- Not 100 % effective in blocking malware
McAfee Total Protection 2014 is definitely more enhanced than its previous 2011 and 2010 versions, with added features, faster scanning speeds, pre-installation scan, and much more. It has abundant security features like hack detection, shredding, encryption, and parental control, which bring it among the best choices for a total security system. However, the same cannot be said for its malware and antivirus protection, as it was unable to demonstrate 100 % efficiency in cleaning PC infected with malware.
Top user review