"launch program for keyboard maniacs"
It feels like searching for a needle in the haystack while trying to search for a single file through an overloaded computer having innumerable files and programs. Although Window’s search tool is quite helpful in searching files but it does not offer much configurable options. A more viable replacement for it is, Find and Run Robot program (generally called as “FARR”) which can quickly and easily find documents, folders, and applications stored in any corner of your computer with just few clicks. It sits quietly in the system tray and can be invoked with hotkeys. As soon as you type in the partial name of the required file/program in its dialog box, FARR will scan every nook and cranny of your computer and display a list of matching programs in just few seconds.
Installation procedure is very simple and involves the basic steps such as confirming setup destination location, Start menu folder, and creation of Desktop icon. Lastly, you can opt to launch FARR right away and also choose to visit its website to view its description and features. After installation finishes, FARR will sit quietly in the system tray and you can quickly launch it by pressing ‘Pause/Break’ key. It is supported by following operating systems: Windows 2K/XP/x64/VISTA/Win7/Win8.
FARR has a minimalistic look yet the interface is quite intuitive; the window displays only a dialog box and two icons to its right which are meant to open Help file and Options window. On typing the file or program name in the dialog box, the matching results are displayed in a list below this box with big and bold numbering. Additional information like the number of results found and the time taken to find these is also shown at bottom of the window. Clicking on ‘Options’ icon opens up a new window from where settings of the program can be altered, for example, play sound on display, keyboard interface, Report columns to be shown, folders to be searched, and so on.
- This application makes searching through your computer easier, especially for those users who use keyboard more often than the mouse.Â The first and foremost reason being, it requires a single key (Pause) to launch the application and the same key to close it, moreover, you can assign the keys (Alt + Space or Ctrl + Space) of your choice for the same purpose or other operations as well
- As you start typing in the file name or application name in its dialog box, it will start displaying the found matches in the list. Simply use the up and down arrow keys to select a program and press enter key to launch that program
- It supports drag and drop feature to instantly launch a program or document, furthermore, by right clicking on any programs from the result list, you can view its properties and advanced functions
- The speed of locating and displaying the found matches is very fast and the time taken to find them is shown at bottom of the window
- It lets you cache the programs that you use frequently which helps in launching them quickly and repeatedly
- Create alias (short name) of the files/programs that you want to be launched instantaneously by selecting the program shown in result list, right-clicking on label ‘New Alias Group’, and entering the alias name you want to keep. There are also dozens of built-in alias commands that help in performing web search and other operations
- Configure the way all files and programs are launched from Options window; for instance, you can use custom tool to open documents, choose to launch shortcuts instead of resolving links, and use file launch helper utility which eliminates delay in opening MS office documents
- In order to add advanced functionality to the program, you can also install external tools and plugins
- Control the search behavior of this program by enabling settings like stop search on exact (or regex) alias match, remove missing items from history, apply alias prefix, and resolve shortcuts when searching
None found during its testing.
Launchy is an easy-to-use utility that indexes the programs in your start menu and lets you search for files, folders, programs, and even websites with just few clicks. Listary is another excellent utility that can search folders, files, and programs as you type in their names.
FARR is a very useful application which helps you in many situations like when you have forgotten the location of a file or when you are in a hurry to find and open a program. The simple interface might give the impression that it has nothing much to offer, but it is just the opposite as it has plenty of configuration options to offer that are more than enough for both beginners and advanced users. Additionally, it is a low-key program that does not come into your way while working on other applications, so its use is highly recommended to all users.
Top user review