"A powerful award-winning text and HTML editor"
NoteTab Pro combines text editor and HTML coding tool under one hood. This tool is one of the favorite handy apps for webmasters and technically advanced users. Novice users will be able to master at least a couple of handy features, such as text editing and Thesaurus, or Clipboard. NoteTab is a full-fledged Notepad alternative and a winner of multiple tech industry awards.
NoteTab allows handling numerous large files in a convenient tab-based interface. It offers a powerful spell checker and Thesaurus, numerous formatting options, bookmarking tools and templates, searches and multi-line replacements.
This may not be the cheapest application on the market, with a Pro version price of $39.95, but it is difficult to say what this powerful application cannot do.
Installation requirements: Intel Pentium processor, or compatible, CPU 4MB, HD 64MB, RAM 32MB, 4 MB disk space. Be careful to read the installation instructions, especially if you have a previous version of the program installed. You will need to install the new, or the trial one, in a different folder because once the trial version expires you will not be able to open your previous version of NoteTab. It is also recommended by the developer that users uninstall the earlier versions of this program before you install the new one. Trial version is valid during 30 days and offers limited features. Namely, the spell-checker and thesaurus are disabled.
Install wizard also offers three choices – complete, custom and quick installation. There are no bundled items in the pack.
Despite the overwhelming number of powerful features, for a novice user at least, the interface is friendly and intuitive. Overall, GUI is not complicated, but it is clearly cut for advanced users in mind. It is possible to use this program for taking notes and copy-pasting numerous items to Clipboard without any technical background whatsoever. The only thing holding a Notepad devotee from trying NoteTab is a habit. Users can choose between real, fixed and smart tabs.
NoteTab offers a rich palette of features, including:
- searching with wildcards
- exceptionally handy word count with text statistics for SEO
- supports HTML5 and CSS3
- supports Twitter’s Bootstrap’s toolkit
- highlights Syntax for CSS and HTML
- offers web templates
- A convenient Clipboard module allows creating and organizing clips with ease. Advanced users will appreciate the simple scripting language ample for any savvy user.
- HTML clip library will come handy for web authors.
- Text-to-HTML conversion, tag stripping and link adding will appeal to most demanding users.
- It is fast, neat and intuitive.
- Editing text is a pleasure with multilingual spell-checker, formatting and thesaurus, word count and word analysis.
- The program offers a powerful search tool with replace option.
- There is a possibility of setting up macros to fill in automatically with the help of shortcuts.
- It is possible to open and edit multiple documents simultaneously.
- Undo/redo goes several steps back in your editing.
- NoteTab withstands a respectable level of tweaking. You can add your own features with a programmable environment.
- ‘Replace All’ works super-fast.
AlternativesNoteTab free from the same publisher comes with limited functionality. Notepad++ is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Sublime Text is a sophisticated text editor for code, html and prose. Vim is an advanced text editor that allows syntax highlighting, word completion and has a huge amount of contributed content. Gedit has syntax highlighting and is suitable for programming, with support for several languages. It is extensible with plugins. Geany is a small and lightweight Integrated Development Environment developed to provide a small and fast IDE. Notepad2 is a fast and light-weight Notepad-like text editor with syntax highlighting.
Overall, NoteTab Pro is a powerful tool with a lot of features up the sleeve. Less experienced users are able to sort out at least some of the modules of this comprehensive program while the wide range of advanced features will appeal to the technically savvy webmasters.
Requirements: Pentium (or compatible) CPU, 4MB HD, 64MB RAM
What's new in this version: Minor improvements and bug fixes.
Top user review