"AVI screen & sound capture for Windows"
HyperCam is a powerful video capture software that can record actions performed on a Windows desktop and also records sound. The software saves captured movies as standard AVI (Audio-Video Interleaved) video files that can be opened by every media player and can be edited. Movies captured with HyperCam can be used for software presentations, demos, tutorials, software training, and for fun activities. It supports changing the frame rates and compression quality prior to capturing a video. However, it is not designed to capture other videos playing on the screen (like the ones playing in Media Player, RealVideo, QuickTime).
HyperCam’s installation is very quick and simple. In the first few steps, you might be asked to install some additional offers (like Search Product and Skype) which are not mandatory to select, so it is recommended to refuse these offers. During the last step, you can opt to launch HyperCam as soon as installation is complete. It is compatible with Windows 2K / XP / XP 64-bit / Vista / Vista 64-bit / 7 / 7 64-bit / 8 / 8 64-bit.
The user interface is very clean and easy-to-understand but it could have been given more modern design, rather, it has a bland look. The small window of the software has several tabs, each of which is meant for a specific function. The default tab shown in window is for ‘Screen Area’, the function of this is to adjust the recording area and the type of recording. Other tabs include Hot Keys, AVI file, Sound, Options, License. The main buttons at the bottom like Start Recording, Start Paused, Play, Defaults, and Help, remain static even while opening different tabs.
- Unlike some other similar software that record the entire window, HyperCam lets you optimize the size of video file by capturing a particular window, a specific area you are working on or even entire window. Moreover, the frame can be moved or zoomed (in or out) while recording is in progress to highlight specific actions.
- Support for Hot Keys is available with which you can pre-define shortcut keys and keyboard combinations to perform main actions like start recording, pause, play
- The tool is quite handy for tutorials and presentations as it can record sound from the computer’s microphone
- It even allows to customize the output file by altering its Frame rate, Frame Compression quality, and the type of Video Compressor
- Screen notes let you explain images to audience without having to record your voice, wherein you can comment on any part of the desktop. The note’s characteristics like font, screen position, size, background color, and frame color can also be configured
- The installer shows several special offers which can overwrite home page of computer, so one needs to be cautious to uncheck these options while installation
- The look and feel of the software is a bit old-fashioned
There are several alternate softwares to HyperCam which are quite capable for the same job. These are: CamStudio, Fraps, Camtasia Studio, Jing (Win, Mac), and Debut Video Capture Software. All these software are well established and provide much more functions than simply recording the desktop actions, for example, Fraps can be used with video game that uses DirectX and OpenGL; Jing can capture video of desktop and upload it to Web, FTP, computer or clipboard; Quicktime can be used for watching Internet videos, HD movie trailers or personal media clips. Any one of these softwares is as good as using HyperCam.
Although, there are many other software present which provide many other options, HyperCam is still a very reliable option for recording desktop actions for professional purpose like presentations, tutorials etc, or even for personal use.
Requirements: Windows 8, 7, Vista or XP, 32 or 64-bit
What's new in this version: Fix for screen area selection under screen magnification 150% or more.
Top user review