"A free network protocol analyzer (sniffer)."
SoftPerfect Network Protocol Analyzer is a tool for network professionals who wish to see the data traveling across a network, strip out packet information, and see data flowing back and forth using different communication protocols.
The software can take fragmented information and put it together to make it meaningful to analyze. Thus, fragmented network packages can become streams of data once more and more easily understood.
Whether the use is across data streams via an Ethernet network card or a broadband connection, the data traveling back and forth can be analyzed successfully via networks or direct internet connections.
Numerous communication protocols are supported. These include AH, ARP, ESP, ICMP, ICMPv6, IGMP, IP, IPv6, IPX, LLC, MSG, REVARP, RIP, SAP, SER, SNAP, SPX, TCP and UDP. The software can also access protocols like HTTP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, FTP, and TELNET rebuilding the data to deliver an understandable data stream.
The software requires 1.2 MB of available space to install. It also adds its own network driver in order to capture data packets. Without this being installed, the software will abort.
There was no adware, toolbars, spyware or malware included with the setup program.
SoftPerfect Network Protocol Analyzer requires Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and Windows Server 2003.
The interface is modern and detailed.
There is a full menu system across the top of the application window with numerous options.
Below that is a row of toolbar buttons which hover tips when moving the mouse over a single toolbar button.
The network interface needs to be selected. There is then a green “Start Capture” button to begin capturing the data stream.
The main data interface is shown below here. There is a three tabbed navigation interface with tabs for Capture, Data Flows, and Packet Builder.
The panes below will then vary depending on which of the three tabs is selected at the time.
- Network protocol manager to analyze packets, capture traffic and display it
- Build custom packet information and sent it to a network
- Flexible traffic monitoring including partial and full network monitoring
- Reconstruct packet information
- See date being exchanged using specific protocols like Telnet, POP3, SMTP, IMAP, FTP, HTTP, etc.
- See loopback connection the PC system
- Supports AH, ARP, ESP, ICMP, ICMPv6, IGMP, IP, IPv6, IPX, LLC, MSG, REVARP, RIP, SAP, SER, SNAP, SPX, TCP and UDP.
- Rebuild data originating from protocols like HTTP, SMTP, POP, IMAP, FTP, and TELNET.
- Too complex for the average user.
LanDetective is a networking tool that lets the user see what data is traveling across a network.
SoftPerfect Network Protocol Analyzer is a useful network tool to examine packet data traveling across a network. It can capture loopback data and two-way data sending and receiving.
Requirements: A Network connection or a modem
Top user review