Updated21 Feb 2015
Downloads323 (1 last week)
"The open network attached storage solution"
Open Media Vault is an open network storage solution for Debian/Linux which includes support for physical disks, RAID disk management, Logical volume management, File systems and SMART technologies.
The software is designed to be used with the Debian distribution of Linux, but it will likely work with some other Linux versions as well. Debian is its best Linux distribution however as support for Debian package management is included with the release.
The user can manage all disk resources with Open Media Value. Access local and networked physical disks, even ones in RAID arrays. This makes the software ideal for system admins who work with Debian systems in a corporate or server hosting environment.
Hard drive power management is supported (both APM and AAM). EXT3, EXT4, XFS and JFS file systems are supported with Open Media Vault. GPT partitions are also accessible. Software RAID JBOD/0/1/5/6, volume quotas, monitoring and share management all come as standard.
The system logs, watchdog, S.M.A.R.T. disk management, e-mail notifications and ongoing monitoring of active process and system state help to make this a very useful tool. Many protocols are also supported including SSH, FTP, TFTP, NFS (version 3 or 4), Rsync, SMB/CIFS, LVM, AFP, LADP Directory Service, DAAP server, iSCSI Target, IPS, Bittorrent clients, and Anti-virus clients.
The disc images for Open Media Vault to install to a Linux system are located here. It is possible to download and use an ISO disk image file on a USB flash drive. The Windows system can boot from the USB flash drive and install Open Media Vault like that. Alternatively, a Debian binary / source package is also available which can be used to create an ISO installation image.
The package repository can also be added to the Linux package manager.
The interface is simple, clean and ideal. There is no confusion on what each part of the user interface does.
The menu system down the left sidebar lists all the options available sub-divided into categories which are individually expandable, i.e. Access Right Management expands to reveal User, Group and Shared Folders sub-menu options.
There is also a language-selectable option in the top-right corner of the interface.
- Open network storage storage solution for Debian/Linux
- Visualize physical disks, RAID disk management, Logical volume management, Filesystems and SMART technologies
- Manage all disk resources with Open Media Value.
- Access local and networked physical disks, RAID JBOD/0/1/5/6, and more
- EXT3, EXT4, XFS and JFS file systems supported
- GPT partitions are also accessible.
- SSH, FTP, TFTP, NFS (version 3 or 4), Rsync, SMB/CIFS, LVM, AFP, LADP Directory Service, DAAP server, iSCSI Target, IPS, Bittorrent clients and Anti-virus all supported
- System logs, watchdog, S.M.A.R.T. disk management, e-mail notifications and ongoing monitoring of active process and system state
- Excellent interface
Open Media Vault is a terrific tool to use in order to manage physical and other types of discs, access online storage options, and keep every running smoothly in the Debian/Linux environment.
Top user review