"Minimal design with sophisticated technology."
Google Chrome for Mac represents a different option for Apple users who are used to using the Safari web browser. The choice of using Google Chrome makes it easier to run Google apps inside the web browser. Tabs can be synced between Chrome running on other platforms to ensure that all versions of the Chrome browser are showing the same thing at the same time. The same incognito mode that is enjoyed by users over on the Windows version is also available for the Mac to get around text cookies that log users into a site even if they don't want to be and bring more anonymous web browsing to the Mac.
Most of the excellent Chrome extensions which bring a whole new functionality to the browser are available with the Mac version too. The odd extension is only available for Windows because it uses a feature not present on the Mac, but for the most part the range of extensions is the same.
Installation is straightforward. The web browser will want to become the default browser and offer to make that change for the user, but that's not necessary if it is not wanted.
The interface for the Mac version of Chrome doesn't really look any different except for the Mac menu bar above the browser window and the Apple floating navigation at the bottom of the screen.
Most updates to the Windows version of Chrome make their way to the Mac version in due course; some happen at the same time whereas others take a bit longer to filter through but almost all features get there in the end.
- Fast, responsive web browser from Google
- Sync open tabs from other Chrome applications to the Mac version
- Use Incognito mode to get out of sites already logged into and surf them as a new user instead
- Use Chrome extensions compatible with the Mac version to add better capabilities
- A good choice away from Safari if it is disliked
- Works with Mac OS X 10.6 or later
- Free app
- High memory use for open tabs the more remains open.
- Google changes advertising shown depending on web sites visited which can feel a bit like Big Brother is watching...
Firefox browser is an alternative Mac browser that offers almost the same functionality as the Windows version of Firefox.
Google Chrome for Mac makes for a good alternative browser to Safari if the user wishes to try something other than Apple's own web browser.