Updated10 May 2013
Downloads145 (1 last week)
"Instantly convert a link to a tiny HTML file"
HTMtied is a quite unusual utility. It provides a programmatic way to enable users to either create web site shortcut files in a folder on the desktop or to copy a web site address to the Windows clipboard which can also create a convenient shortcut file.
The shortcut files, once generated by HTMtied, are stored in a newly created “HTMtied links” folder. This neatly avoids the desktop becoming overly cluttered with numerous shortcuts when new users of HTMtied over do it and then finding their Windows desktop slowing to a crawl.
The installation file is tiny. Less than 1MB. The installation performed flawlessly on Windows 8.1.
There was no malicious adware, toolbars or spyware included with the setup package.
HTMtied requires Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7.
There is no actual interface with HTMtied. The software installs and then sits as one of two program icons on the desktop.
Internet URLs can be copied to the Windows clipboard where they will be converted into desktop shortcuts to access the web site more quickly. The Internet browser tab title is used for page titles.
Alternatively, the drag and drop method can be used to drag Internet Favorite files across to HTMtied which will initiate the creation of a new shortcut for the web address.
Using either method, an audible sound will occur when the creation has been completed (useful for people who have copied something to the clipboard but who are not looking directly at the desktop in that moment). Then the shortcut will save to the “HTMtied links” desktop folder.
- Creates simple URL shortcuts from clipboard URLs or from actual Internet bookmark or Internet Favorite files.
- Stores created shortcuts in a single folder for desktop neatness.
- Audible message when a shortcut creation task has been completed.
- Portable and direct installation versions available.
- When not copied to the clipboard, it is necessary to copy internet shortcut files to the desktop before they can be dragged over to the "HTMtied Direct To Desktop" program icon.
- No offline viewing mode; the shortcuts are only that, so an internet connection is needed to access the web sites later.
- URLs cannot be dragged directly from a web browser's address bar to the "HTMtied Direct To Desktop" program icon.
- Multiple URLs can be copied and created at the same time, but a file has to be manually created to achieve this.
HTMtied is an Internet shortcut creation package that helps to some degree in offering a faster way to launch a web page or web site without offering especially useful features.
What's new in this version: Supports the upcoming Windows 8 operating system.
Top user review