Gedit is an excellent multi-tabbed, multi-window text editor which is equally useful for editing plain text files as it is for writing out programming code. As such, the editor can handle txt, php, html, xhtml, xml or css code very well. It also has extremely useful syntax color highlighting which highlights in one color for C, another for Java, and so forth. For hand-coders who write code in html, css and php in order to developer a Linux-based web site, each of these three languages appear in different colors and so are easy to scan and locate. This helps in both the coding and editing phases of any development. All the other usual features with an editor of this kind are present such as line numbering, support for UTF-8 international standard and a current line highlighting feature.
Gedit Key Features:
- Runs on Windows, OS X and Linux
- Good text editor for text files
- Excellent syntax highlighting and editing features
- Multi-tabbed for editing several documents
- Multi-windowed coding environment
- Fast to load, reliable
- Supports TXT, PHP, HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS, C, C++, Java, Python, Perl, and more
For a flexible text editor for basic editing and coding situations, you cannot go wrong with Gedit.
DeveloperThe GNOME Project
Updated15 Mar 2019
Downloads1,412 (3 last week)
Top user review