Updated6 Jul 2014
Downloads48,126 (10 last week)
"Provides an enhanced security infrastructure"
Windows XP SP2 is a cumulative collection of updates released for Windows XP, including those contained within Service Pack 1 and subsequent individual security releases thereafter. Service Pack 2 (SP2) added WPA encryption for internet connections (most Wi-Fi) which dramatically improved security options instead of using flawed, easily bypassed older protocols. A pop-up blocker was added to Internet Explorer 6 (the version of IE at the time of release) to stop unwanted interruptions and distractions. Bluetooth support was added, but it was only a partial implementation of this new wireless standard at the time. Email and web browsing received some security tweaks to make them less vulnerable to malware and other attacks. Also for security, the first release of the Windows Security Center offered a visual indication of current security levels and offered recommendations of action that the Windows user could take to improve their security.
Windows XP SP2 Key Features:
- Windows XP Service Pack 2 is a bundled package of updates for bugs, security and better execution within Windows XP
- Windows Security Center was added to provide better security guidance for novices
- Bluetooth support was partially implemented
- Email and web browsing received security improvements including an IE pop-up blocker and WPA encryption
- For Windows XP owners, the Service Pack 2 was vital (superseded by SP3)
Windows XP SP2 is a Service Pack to update Windows XP with bug fixes, security improvements and more.
Top user review