"A free keyboard remapper for Windows."
KeyTweak is one-of-its-kind and a simple utility that allows users to change configuration of the keyboard input signals, in other words, it lets users alter the action assigned to any standard key. Basically, it is an application to do editing of a particular registry key for assigning a different function to it other than its standard function and also to disable certain unnecessary keys. For instance, you can assign ‘Delete’ function to ‘Space bar’ key.
KeyTweak’s installation is as easy as a pie! The two step procedure only asks you to confirm the License Agreement and the installation directory path, after which you are set to use the application. In the last installer window, you can view the details of installation procedure by clicking ‘Show Details’ button. It is compatible with following operating systems: Windows 2K / XP / Vista / 7.
Graphical interface of KeyTweak is simple, user-friendly and instinctual. A virtual keyboard is displayed in its window with all the keys numbered from 1 to 126, instead of their actual names/numbers. To its right side, some ‘Specialty Buttons’ are displayed that are given on some keyboards, such as play, volume, eject, home, email and so on. You can select any of these keys and then choose the new remapping key from the dropdown shown under ‘Keyboard Controls’ section. All the remapped keys that are currently active are listed at the top of the window. Help file is also well documented and proves to be very useful.
- The schematic diagram of the virtual keyboard having keys numbered from 1 to 126 makes it very easy to find the right key for remapping (as some keys on computer and laptop keyboards may vary)
- Certain keyboards have additional set of Special keys for advanced functions like eject, play, home, email, and power off, to name a few; this utility supports the remapping of such keys as well
- Remapping of keys could not have been made more easier as all you need to do is select your required key from the virtual keyboard, choose the new remapping key from the dropdown list, and then click on Remap Key button shown under ‘Keyboard Controls’ section
- If there are some keys on your keyboard that you think are irrelevant to you, then in order to disable them simply select those keys from the keyboard and click on ‘Disable key’ button
- All the remappings that are pending or are currently active are displayed in their respective listboxes; making it easier for you to maintain record of remapped keys
- No need to panic if you have done some wrong remappings; ‘Restore All Defaults’ button is provided for such times which reverts the keyboard back to its default configuration
- If you are eager to get information on how remapping works then click ‘Show Me the Raw Map’ button which pops up a dialog showing the raw data in your registry value and the translation of hex values; there is no other use of this key
- Half Teach Mode can scan a single keystroke for which you can assign a new key. Similarly, with Full Teach Mode, you can enter the scancodes of keys to be remapped by pressing their keystrokes
- Combination of keystrokes is not supported (for example, Alt+Shft key cannot be mapped to a single key)
- Pause/Break key cannot be remapped
- System reboot is required every time upon doing or undoing key remapping
Utilities that are a good fit as alternatives to KeyTweak are – Sharpkeys and Karabiner. Sharpkeys is a utility that can reprogram the keys on your keyboard, plus it can remap more than one key to a single key. Karabiner is meant for MAC OS which is a powerful utility for performing keyboard customization;moreover, it also supports Emacs-style, Vi-Style and mouse operations from keyboard.
Despite of some negatives, KeyTweak is a wonderful utility that lets you take control of your keyboard and re-design it according to your wish. Its easy-to-understand interface makes it effortless for anyone to reconfigure the keyboard. In addition, it does not impact computer's performance due to its low system resources consumption, so you should go ahead and try out this free-of-cost utility.
Top user review