"A Linux-like environment for Windows."
Cygwin is not your usual kind of application for Windows. It is a dynamic link library (DLL) with a lot of code contained therein that delivers a Linux look and feel overlaying Windows. Within the Cygwin interface, several Linux-like applications are included which deliver some of the under-the-hood functionality of a true Linux operating system. Cygwin is not a virtual machine for running Linux compatible apps, nor will it allow Windows apps to run with extra Linux functionality. However, for Windows users both familiar and comfortable with the Linux terminal and frequently used features of the UNIX-based operating systems, this addition with bring extra functionality that they probably miss.
Cygwin Key Features:
- Small DLL download
- Fast and simple installation
- Extra Linux functionality without interfering with Windows operation
- Adds deeper control of certain Windows features
- Includes several Linux apps with the DLL package
- Runs other Linux apps that have been configured to work in Cygwin
If you are missing having access to familiar Linux applications, then don't leave the Windows operating system. Just try out Cygwin instead.
DeveloperRed Hat, Inc.
Updated13 Jul 2020
Downloads4,393 (1 last week)
Top user review