"Password protect programs and apps on your PC"
People who share common computers at office or at home are normally concerned about the privacy of their files, programs, and data, since such situations can result in other users viewing, editing or deleting their files mistakenly or even knowingly. No need to fret about this problem anymore, thanks to WinGuard Pro which is a system security application capable of applying password-protection to various parts of your computer like Windows programs, files, folders, and Web pages as well. Therefore, without shutting down or locking your system, you can keep intruders at bay even when your programs are running and files are opened.
Process of installation for WinGuard is really fast and simple. The installer only asks for confirmation of basic details such as setup destination path and the users who can access this application. That’s it! The application is ready to protect your data. It is supported by following operating systems: Windows 2K/XP/Vista/7/8.
The GUI of this application is quite decent, modern, and intuitive; the layout is designed in such a way so that anyone with or without much technical experience can easily get accustomed to it. All the main menu options are shown as tabs at the top of the window, namely – TaskLock, Password, Users, Advanced, and File Protection. The main restrictions for Windows programs or a running task can be applied from ‘TaskLock’ tab. More settings for protection can be done from ‘Advanced’ and ‘File Protection’ tabs; where the former can disable IE or block software installation and the latter can encrypt any file/folder. Button for viewing Help manual is shown at the bottom of the window.
- It provides a pre-defined list of desktop programs and applications running on your computer which can be locked, some of which are – Weather, Calendar, Mail, Windows Media Player, Run, and Games
- You can create a customized list of tasks to be locked (other than those provided by the application by default) by clicking on ‘Lock a Task’ button under TaskLock tab. It lets you lock an already running (open) task or enter the exact Window Title of the program to be locked
- If you want to exclude a task from being locked, simply select it from the list and click on ‘Delete Task’ link
- A default password is provided in order to access the application, however, if you want to keep another password that is easier for you to remember then you can reset it from the ‘Password’ tab
- Save the settings you have done so far for multiple users; ‘Users’ tab enables you to apply configuration for all users of your computers and set you as an administrator, for whom these settings will be de-activated. Furthermore, you can copy and use these configurations on other computers as well
- You can even enter a message which will be displayed to other users on logon
- From ‘Advanced’ tab you can not only disable Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer but you can also block installation of any software
- Don’t want other users to gain access of your confidential files or folders, then secure them with 128-bit AES encryption provided by this application. Apart from encryption, you can also perform decryption of files/folders by giving their full paths in ‘File Protection’ tab
Axcrypt is renowned open source file encryption software which integrates with Windows to encrypt, decrypt, store, send and work with individual files. Program Protector is another reliable alternative which can password protect any Windows application from being accessed by unwanted users. Easy File Locker is a user-friendly security software that protects your personal files and folders from being viewed, read, modified, deleted or moved by unauthorized users.
WinGuard is an easy-to-use security software which performs its tasks flawlessly. It is a great tool for protecting data while working in professional as well as personal surroundings. It works on low to moderate system resources without hampering the system performance, so this free application is highly recommended to all the users.
Requirements: Windows 7, 8.1 or 10
What's new in this version: Compatible with Windows 10
Top user review