"GIF image editor"
Gifsicle is a little different because rather than being the usual GUI-based GIF editor, this tool is actually a command-line tool instead. This puts the software really into a class of its own.
The command line process works in some fairly obvious ways. It is a little like learning a batch language in Windows or Linux, and once you know it, working with looping, delaying animations, inserting or replacing animation frames and more is simple to do.
Slides can be created, inserted, removed, deleted, and more. Interlacing is easy to add, looping can be included to feature a sequence more than once, transparency for GIF images can be implemented, and comments can even be inserted.
The program also ensures that only differences between each subsequent frame are stored in order to keep the GIF animation file size down. This makes it more usable for web presentations and storing on CDs.
The user has full control over GIF images where it can take out redundant colors to smooth color reproduction. Color maps can be shrunk down and images can even use the web-safe palette so that they work on older displays with a far more limited color range than is usually available today.
Currently hosted on GitHub, Gifsicle did not pose a problem with installation because once the ZIP archive has been unpacked, there were only two executable files and a couple of document files explaining how to use the software.
There was no adware, toolbars, malware or spyware included with the file archive.
Gifsicle requires Windows OS.
Gifsicle presents as a basic command-line tool. Therefore, the tool has a basic interface.
This however will not be a problem for people who are happy using a console or a command-line.
- Work with GIFs through a command-line instead of a GUI
- See meta information about a GIF file
- Control the transparency, interlacing, looping and comments
- Remove redundant colors to ensure proper color reproduction
- Reduce the size of color maps and change images to only use a web-safe color palette
- Create GIF animations with frames, speed alteration, and full animation settings
- Only stored changed image information for each subsequent frame to reduce the size of the GIF animated file
- Command-line approach will not appear to many users
The Advanced GIF Animator is a useful alternative application with a GIF editing and animation features.
Gifsicle is a command-line based GIF editor and animator. The emphasis here is on animator rather than editor. Will only really suit people who prefer using the command-line above all else. For everyone else, a GIF editor or GIF animator with a GUI will be a much better choice.
Top user review