Published by WavPack on 28 Nov 2022
Updated28 Nov 2022
Downloads1,283 (1 last week)
"A completely open audio compression format."WavPack is a completely open audio compression format providing lossless, high-quality lossy, and a unique hybrid compression mode. For version 5.0.0, several new file formats and lossless DSD audio compression were added, making WavPack a universal audio archiving solution.
In the default lossless mode WavPack acts just like a WinZip compressor for audio files. However, unlike MP3 or WMA encoding which can affect the sound quality, not a single bit of the original information is lost, so there's no chance of degradation. This makes lossless mode ideal for archiving audio material or any other situation where quality is paramount. The compression ratio depends on the source material, but generally is between 30% and 70%.
The hybrid mode provides all the advantages of lossless compression with an additional bonus. Instead of creating a single file, this mode creates both a relatively small, high-quality lossy file that can be used all by itself, and a "correction" file that (when combined with the lossy file) provides full lossless restoration. For some users this means never having to choose between lossless and lossy compression!
WavPack employs only well known, public domain techniques (i.e., linear prediction with LMS adaptation, Elias and Golomb codes) in its implementation. Methods and algorithms that have ever been patented (e.g., arithmetic coding, LZW compression) are specifically avoided. This ensures that WavPack encoders and decoders will remain open and royalty-free.
Features - WavPack 5.0.0 features include:
- Compatible with virtually all audio data formats including 8, 16, 24, and 32-bit integer PCM; 32-bit float PCM; DSD audio; mono, stereo, and multichannel; sampling rates from 6 to 192 kHz (and non-standard rates)
- Handles all modern audio file formats including Microsoft WAV/BWF/RF64, Sony Wave64, Apple CAF, Philips DSDIFF, and Sony DSF (all with no size limitations)
- Multiplatform support including Windows, Linux, and OS X, plus a Flash decoder and encoder and a Silverlight decoder that can work virtually anywhere, and now a web-based audio converter that can decode WavPack files online
- DirectShow filters for Windows, plus full Unicode support on the Windows command-line
- Easily transcode from WavPack to WavPack with a single command (including tag copy)
- Unique hybrid mode (provides high quality lossy + "correction" file)
- Option to automatically verify every WavPack file when created
- Assembly language optimizations for x86, x64, and ARM
- Instantly seekable and streaming capable (and gapless)
- ReplayGain (including WavPack file scanner and compatible plugins)
- Uses ID3v1 and APEv2 tags for metadata (including ReplayGain)
- Error-tolerant block format conducive to hardware decoding
- Optional "asymmetrical" mode for improved compression
- MD5 audio checksums for verification and identification
- Hybrid mode operates as low as 2.25 bits/sample (or 196 kbps for CD audio)
- Dynamic noise shaping (dns) for optimum quality at lower hybrid bitrates
- Free and open source with easy to use C library API and unrestrictive license (BSD)
- Intuitive command line interface (with wildcards and destination directory)
- Small, efficient executable (no large programs or dlls to install)
- Java and C# decoders and encoders available
- Complete piping support
Top user review
There are no user reviews. Be the first to review this software.
Download3K did not scan WavPack for viruses, adware, spyware or other badware. For your own safety, we recommend that you always have an antivirus, with virus definitions up to date, installed on your computer when downloading and installing programs from the web.