Updated23 Sep 2012
Downloads120,044 (1 last week)
"Software to backup DVD disks."
DVD Shrink is a software package to create backups of DVD video discs in case they subsequently get scratched and cannot be read (this avoids needing to buy an expensive replacement of each Disney title that the kids have played so many times that eventually the discs become damaged!)
The package can work in conjunction with a disc burning utility or perhaps more usefully it can also perform the burning process itself. Do not expect too much from the burning features with DVD Shrink but it is sufficient to perform the task of creating backup DVD discs based on original versions of DVD movies, etc.
The DVD Shrink package can effectively deal with many types of older encryption that is often included in commercial DVD movie discs. The software includes a variety of decryption algorithms to resolve the encryption that was issued on earlier Hollywood movie discs.
The original DVD movie content far exceeds the size that will fit on a standard DVD-R disc. For this reason, the software compresses the file to make it small enough to fit on a basic DVD-R disc. There may be some loss of quality in this process but that will largely depend on the source DVD and level of encryption that was used in the shrinking process.
DVD discs can also be re-authored by creating a new compilation based on more than one DVD source material retaining only the parts that are wanted and mastering them on to a new DVD-R disc.
The software can be installed easily on a Windows system.
The software runs best on Windows 9x, 2000 or XP.
It is also understood that the software will run when compatibility mode has been set to “Windows98/ME or XP” on other Window versions. This is done by right-clicking over the application's shortcut icon, selecting Properties, then the Compatibility tab inside the window that appears. Half-way down the next screen is the option to choose which compatibility mode to use when opening the installed application. Once configured, the app should then run on other versions of Windows without issue.
The interface is fairly simple. It has a tabbed user interface to access all the necessary features. There are also useful questions posed in the bottom-right corner of the application windows which offer to explain what each feature or setting actually means.
- Free DVD mastering utility that specializes in accessing DVD movie discs and burning new versions
- Create compilations of chapters or scenes from a number of movie DVDs and burning them to a DVD-R disc
- Can use third party disc burning app or use the internal disc burning features within DVD Shrink
- Decrypt older copy-protected DVD movies so they can be backed up
- Compression can be customized to focus on file size or playback quality
- Nice linked tips to explain different features and settings
- Limited disc burning capabilities
- May not be able to get around the latest copy-protection methods
- May need to set the Windows compatibility mode for newer operating systems to ensure the app loads and runs smoothly
DVD Shrink is an effective DVD movie backup utility that can decrypt a movie and back it up to a new DVD-R disc. The software can decrypt many older DVD movie protection software, but is likely to be unsuccessfully with new copy-protection methods. However, the software is entirely free so the user hasn't much to lose with trying it out.
Top user review