Updated16 Feb 2021
Downloads504 (1 last week)
"A lot of information about Media files"
MediaInfo is a file information provider for many kinds of media files. The application can open various audio or video files, plus text subtitle files and provide incredibly detailed and potentially very useful information about them.
Movie files like OGM, MKV Matroska, QuickTime, Windows Media Files WMV, DivX and MPEG1, MPEG2 and MPEG4 can be examined further. Audio files like MP3, OGG, AIFF, WAVE and AC3 can also looked into in depth as well. Text files also can be reviewed.
With movie files, it is possible to view the format, codec ID, aspect ratio, color space, chrome sub sampling, scan type, bit depth, bit rate, frame rate and many other specific details about the recording and file type.
Text information files, like subtitle files, can be examined for subtitle information, codec ID, format, and more.
Audio files can provide details like the language selected, bit rate, bit depth, sample rate, codex ID, format, and much more.
Baidu Antivirus is bundled in with this software which is quite unfortunate. It only takes one "decline" radio button click to avoid its installation which is better than the usual dual confirmation needed with other applications that bundle this software too.
Other than this, the installation goes well once Baidu Antivirus has been bypassed (or not, if you like Baidu Antivirus). No other software gets installed that was not expected.
I'm reviewing the Windows version here, but Mac and Linux versions are available too.
The interface is a little fussy. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you are used to it then it will be fine to open files and present detailed information about them.
- View detailed media information for video, audio and text files
- Access OGM, MKV Matroska, QuickTime, WMV, DivX and MPEG1, MPEG2 and MPEG4 video files
- Access MP3, OGG, AIFF, WAVE and AC3 audio files.
- For movie files, see format, codec ID, aspect ratio, color space, chrome sub sampling, scan type, bit depth, bit rate, frame rate and many other specific details about the recording and file type information.
- For audio files, see language, bit rate, bit depth, sample rate, codex ID, format, and much more export information reports to HTML, CSV or text files
For detailed file examination, MediaInfo is excellent at providing full information on audio clips, video clips, and text files like subtitle media files. The level of detail is pretty in depth leaving little gaps in what someone would want to find out and what can be delivered within the existing interface.