"Free audio editing software for Windows"
Wavosaur is a free and fun-to-use audio editor which is designed for functions such as editing audio tracks, processing sounds, recording digital audios, and much more. It is packed with numerous amazing features for audio editing, some of which are – Cut, Copy, Paste, Crop, Vocal Remover, Insert Silence, Pitch Shift, Fade In/Out, and so on. Apart from what its name suggests (WAV), this application supports other types of audio formats also, including MP3, OGG, VOX, VOC, WVV, AIFF, and IFF. Another advanced feature of this application is that its commands can be triggered by an external MIDI controller, such as, play, stop, rewind, record, and toggle windows.
Installation procedure is not required for Wavosaur since it is a portable application. You simply need to extract its compressed file in a preferred location on your computer and later run its executable file for start working on it. Moreover, you can keep it on a removable drive (USB flash drive) for using it directly on another computer. It is supported by these operating systems: Windows 2000/ XP/ Vista/ 7/ 8.
The look and feel of the application seems a bit obsolete, although the icons and menu options are straightforward and instinctive. The toolbar is packed with too many icons (with label tooltips) which are meant for various functions like play, stop, create loop points, MIDI configuration, audio configuration, Trim Crop, to name a few. The loaded track is represented as a Waveform in the main panel of the window, the duration of the track can be checked from the bar above this panel and the details of the track are shown below the panel.
- This application offers various classic editing features such as – cut, copy, paste, undo, delete, trim/crop, and set selection range. ‘Paste’ operation can be carried out in multiple ways like paste and mix, paste in a new file, paste and mix at marker
- It supports VST effect plugin which means you can add VST effects to your audio recordings, save it and listen to the processed audio in real time
- There are multiple options available to process your tracks like channel conversion from stereo to mono and vice-versa, reverse the track being played, Fade In/Out, remove vocals from the track or insert silence at the beginning or ending of the track
- With the built-in batch processing feature, you can apply effects (or VST effects) and perform processing to an entire folder at once
- Expert users can make use of advanced tools like creating, locking, and copying loop points on the track; Auto Trim; adjusting number of beats in BPM (Beats Per Minute) calculator; performing 3D Spectrum analysis of the waveform; viewing statistics of an audio clip and exporting it as a text file
- You can automate the volume control of any specific track with ‘Automation’ feature; multi point envelope editing needs to be done on the track to increase or decrease its volume, after which it can be reset, deleted, reversed or locked
- An external MIDI controller can trigger the commands of this application including: play, stop, rewind, record, fast forward, toggle windows, go to start, control output volume, and more
- Vocal Remover did not work as the entire audio including vocals and instruments were removed (nothing could be heard)
- Statistics exported as Text file were not saved in the given location
Audacity is a free and open source application for editing and recording audio tracks; it can record and play sounds plus import and export WAV, MP3, AIFF, and OGG files. Goldwave is a professional digital audio editor which can be used to play, mix, edit or to apply special effects to the audio. Sound Forge software is another reliable alternative which can record, analyze, and edit audio; digitize and cleanup old recordings; produce music loops; and create streaming media.
Wavosaur is packed with basic and advanced features, which makes it ideal for beginner as well expert users. The online Help and tutorials are also very useful for anyone who needs to understand its working. Besides some of the negatives and an outdated interface, this free-of-cost software is good enough for audio editing and recording.
Top user review