"Organize your life and business"
Wunderlist is a To List organizing app that is cross-platform on Android, iOS, Windows and Mac. There are applications for different platforms, plus web browser add ons or extensions for Firefox, Chrome, etc. Therefore, it is possible for users to access their task lists from virtually any device, anywhere.
There are a variety of task list managers that are available for Android. These include the popular Remember the Milk, Todoist and others. With each task manager there are free accounts and premium/Pro accounts which additional features. What restrictions you get with each app varies. For users who do not buy apps but only use the free ones, this can have a bearing on how usable a given mobile app is for them.
In the case of Wunderlist, syncing is included across all devices on an irregular (but frequent) basis, unlike Remember the Milk which restricts to one sync per day. But the software lacks extended sub task, fully-supported individual task assigning and limits file size attachments to 5MB each. Pro accounts, at the time of writing, cost $4.99 per month.
Wunderlist for Android is available directly from the Wunderlist site, as an Android APK download for rooted device owners and directly from the Google Play site. As an aside, there is also a special Wunderlist for Education app available for Android as well.
A Wunderlist Business app is also available for teams, with rights management to manage who can see which tasks and lists inside Wunderlist.
The Wunderlist for Android app is only 22 MB and requires Android 4.0 or later. Wunderlist does not require a laundry list of access rights during the install either.
The interface is slick and modern. When used with an Android smart phone the app initially displays just the Lists that have been created, with the Inbox and Today Lists placed at the top. There are controls for each list to the left of the List label and a counter for how many items are in each list on the right side. A blue plus symbol displays at the bottom of the screen to add a new list. At the top are icons for Activities, Conversations, Settings and Search.
Clicking on any list will bring up that list of tasks. Swiping across from left of screen to center of it will return the user back to the master list. It is also possible tap on more than one list to create a category of lists which is a new feature.
With individual tasks, the user can add a photo which is useful when sharing tasks with other Wunderlist users (good for co-workers, couples, etc.).
When used with a tablet, the master List and tasks for the selected List will display on the same page. Long tasks can be seen on a single list rather than be abbreviated as well.
- Can be easily used to enter list of errands, create checklists for travel, etc.
- Set alarms
- Assign tasks to other Wunderlist users
- Transfer tasks between lists
- Set due date with reminders
- Add tags in Pro version
- Choice of a few free backgrounds and more with Pro version
- Frequently updated; often adds new features like the grouping of Lists into categories which was added in early 2015.
- Widgets in Pro version
- Task entry is not as fast or smooth as with Remember the Milk or Todoist
- No copy tasks feature to place a task on multiple lists simultaneously without needing to manually do so
- Lacks label support, making searches less effective, unless opting for the Pro account (Remember the Milk includes label support in the free version).
- While well-supported cross-platform, it lacks the insane amount of cross-platform support that Todoist offers
- Sometimes an image added to a task does not stay attached to the task or cannot be successfully viewed later
Remember the Milk offers label support and a feature where a custom, complex search can be turned into its own custom “Smart List.” Extremely powerful. Lacks frequent syncing in free version. Yearly cost is lower than Wunderlist.
Todoist is another good alternative with its own list of features included (or missing) from the free version, but present in the paid version. Extensive cross-platform support.
Wunderlist for Android is an excellent task list manager. It offers all the usual features that can be found in other popular task managers.