Updated13 Dec 2011
Downloads86,525 (257 last week)
"Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) provides..."
Want to update your operating system to SP1? Wondering what surprises Microsoft has in store for your XP? The SP1 update was launched on 09.09.2002. It adds over 300 fixes for various bugs and it makes your system more reliable and secure.
Here are the key features that stand out:
- You can now plug in any USB 2.0 device and it will be recognized
- An integrate Virtual Java Machine which enables you to run by default any Java powered application on your system
- .NET framework which is now extensively required by many Windows applications
- Support for the Media Center (which enables you to connect all your entertainment devices to one central hub) and tablet PCs
- Another notable addition is the ability to specify which programs are needed to certain activities (for instance, play video files with a certain media player or open HTML files with the default browser)
- The ability to remove Middleware products (such as Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer)
- The main difference between this and SP1a is that Java Virtual Machine was removed from the pack due to a lawsuit filed by Sun Microsystems
Download Windows XP Service Pack 1 if you want to improve the reliability & security of your XP operating system.
Before installing version of Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows make sure this is the latest version available and that it works with your current operating system and device model. If the driver contains release notes ("readme" files) proceed with reading them first. Second recommended step is creating a restore point to help you later on in case you install the wrong device driver. Note that some drivers will work instantly after installing them, but others will require a system restart in order to function properly.
As an alternative, you can simplify the process of installing the latest versions for your drivers by using a program to scan all your drivers and compare them with the latest available versions from the manufacturers. We recommend Driver Scanner from Uniblue for such a task. Download it and run a free driver scan here.
Top user review