"DNS queries sniffer"
DNSQuerySniffer is a network sniffer that can capture DNS queries that are sent across the system.
Every DNS query is captured with all the relevant information displayed line by line for the record. Numerous types of important DNS information is listed including host name, port number, query ID, request type, duration, response code, country IP address, source address and destination address.
The collected DNS information from multiple internet actions can be conveniently exported to a CSV, tab-delimited file, HTML or XML file whereupon the file can be viewed more conveniently in another application like Excel or a web browser in the case of the HTML or XML file. Alternatively, it is also possible to copy the DNS queries directly to the Windows clipboard and then paste them directly into a spreadsheet of the user's choosing.
The software comes in a compressed file archive. Once unpacked, it includes three files including the executable file. The software does not need to be installed as it is a portable application.
There was no adware, spyware, malware or toolbars included with the package.
DNSQuerySniffer requires Windows 8.x, 7, Vista or XP (32 bit and 64 bit supported).
When first loading, the software puts up a dialog window for capturing options: RAW sockets (Windows 2000 and Windows XP only), WinPcap Packet Capture Driver, Network Monitor Driver, or Network Monitor Driver 3.x.
The user also gets to either agree to automatically add DNSQuerySniffer to the Windows firewall when the software starts capturing and removing it when it stops, or promiscuous mode can be used which captures data continuously.
The interface has a menu system at the top for File, Edit, View, Options, and Help.
There is a small toolbar with a few buttons to access some options more quickly.
The main part of the application window forms columns for host name, port name, query ID, request type, request time, response time, duration, response code, records count, a, cname, and several other network-specific categories, plus source address, destination address, and IP country.
- Capture DNS records in real-time.
- View the host name, port name, query ID, request type, request time, response time, duration, response code, records count, a, cname, and several other network-specific categories, plus source address, destination address, and IP country for each DNS record.
- Export the DNS query records directly to a CSV, tab-delimited file, HTML or XML file to be viewed through another application.
- Copy the DNS queries directly to the Windows clipboard and then paste them directly into a spreadsheet manually.
- Basic DNS capturing information. Lacks the sophistication of full blown packet sniffer software.
Capsa Network Analyzer is a professional network analyzer which can capture extensive network activity information and break it down conveniently for the user.
DNSQuerySniffer is a basic packet sniffer that can capture DNS records successfully, export them to a file or copy them to the Windows clipboard. It lacks the flare of other software options, but it gets the job done.
Top user review